2018 has seen many exciting developments across the Recruitment Entrepreneur portfolio; launching in Ireland and the APAC region, hosting a combined CEO forum and industry event in Manchester, and of course welcoming five new businesses. The addition of Bow Resources, 360 Search, Stanford Search, Urban Connect and Darwin Hawkins to the portfolio also brings eight fantastic CEOs into the group.
The internal RE team has also grown this year; Gareth Chambers was selected to spearhead the launch of our first Australian office in Sydney. The New Year brings many exciting prospects for RE in Australia, with existing portfolio businesses also launching their own Australian presence. The appointment of Samantha Proctor as Marketing and Comms Director, alongside the growth of our internal marketing facility has led to the successful launch of seven new websites and brand refreshes since April. As the portfolio has expanded, so has our finance team, with four new members joining this year. We also welcomed Sandley as front of house in May!
One of the highlights from this year was business leaders attending Cass Business School and launching our SGH training, an intense and exciting experience focused on team-building and negotiation skills which was extremely well-received across the portfolio.
Bow Resources joined the RE portfolio in May and are based in the South Kensington hub. With over 30 years of market experience within smart energy, oil & gas, renewables and technical and academic training, Directors Ian Balcomb and Ben Carlisle’s decision to launch their own business was the natural result of their broad industry knowledge and extensive global networks.
360 Search, founded in 2010 by Lynda Barnes, joined the RE portfolio in April 2018. The company is based in Dublin, and directed by Lynda Barnes and Sarah McGrath. 360 Search specialises in insurance and financial recruitment. The team provides high level recruitment services for leading organisations in the both private and public sector, including board level, executive search and advertised assignments.
Find out more about them here.
Urban Connect is a construction recruitment business launched by CEO and Founder, Andrew Kerr in November. Focusing on project design and project management within the built environment, infrastructure and transportation sectors, Urban Connect is based in the dynamic business district of Spinningfields in Manchester, and operates across the UK.
Launched by Mark Baker and Niall O’Kelly in October 2018, Darwin Hawkins is a boutique recruitment consultancy within the financial services sector, based in Dublin.
Based in the hub, Stanford Search was founded in September by Jake Tapsell. Stanford Search is a boutique executive search firm working on front office positions across private equity, investment banking and broader alternative investments across the US and Europe.
- Beeken Reeves launched their first Australian office, in Sydney, where Sue Davies will be leading the growth of the APAC team.
- Launched a new website and brand refresh.
- The team took part in Tough Mudder raising money for Cancer Research.
- Co-CEO, Michael Beeken welcomed his first baby!
- Ryan Bingham and George Mair were promoted to senior consultants.
- Clarus moved into their new offices.
- Co-CEO Alison tied the knot!
- Seven members of the team will be heading to Tenerife for a 5*, all-inclusive trip to reward them for all their hard work.
- Shevonnae Sokoya was awarded employee of the year…
“Shev’s determination, work ethic and attitude make her a deserved winner in our eyes!”
It’s for charity…
- Clarus donated over £2,500 to two different primary schools to help purchase virtual reality learning resources and after school provisions.
- Clarus sponsored and ran The Big Half Marathon in support of Manorfield Primary School.
- They also sponsored St Thomas The Apostle’s basketball kit.
- Elitegroup underwent a brand refresh and launched their new website.
- They launched their new Instagram profile.
- Margaux Robin was announced as employee of the year.
- Annabel Estephan was promoted to Business Development Director.
- Elitegroup will soon be based exclusively in Newcastle.
- Michael Woda, Molly Shoesmith, Rose Lock, Lee Riley, Anu Deb and Luke Joy were all promoted. Congratulations!
- Michael, Lee and Luke enjoyed a long weekend in Valencia to reward them for all their hard work.
- The team celebrated Christmas in style at Quaglino’s.
- GKR London launched their new website
Employee of the year:
CEO, Grant Kaveney says: “There is no one top employee at GKR, there’s been several stand out performances throughout the year…special thanks goes to Michael, Molly, Luke and Lee for fantastic work. Anu, Conor and Tara all had a personal best this year, and Rose and Fergus have shown excellent starts to their recruitment careeers!”
- Graham Matthews recently completed their first year in their new office in Bank.
- Zoe and Charlie have been on several trips to Europe this year to meet with clients and candidates. Their success within the Workday team has gone from strength to strength this year, and it will be a key growth area going into 2019.
Employee of the year: Charlie Oliver
“Charlie has gained a strong foothold in the Workday market, showing true development and growth, and he has really led the team. Workday was a fairly new market to him at the beginning of the year, and it just goes to show that hard work and diligence pays off!”
Introducing: Nick Bamford
“Nick has joined as the new managing director – we’re excited to have Nick join in time for the New Year and to build upon the GM success!”
- This year Group8 has seen excellent progress in client development on a global level.
- Max cycled to Amsterdam in aid of The Ted Foundation.
- Group8 launched their Instagram!
- The whole team attended SGH negotiation training.
- CEO and Founder, Miranda, joined the panel at the HR in Law Conference to discuss ‘What makes laterals succeed’
Welcome to my world…
The team have initiated ‘Welcome to my world’, where one member of the team organises an activity based on their hobbies and interests. So far, they have been to Karen’s favourite restaurant, Blacklock, spent an evening bowling, and gone for a go-karting experience!
- The team had a trip to Mallorca in December to celebrate their best year yet.
- Adam Nelson, Bradley Alexander and Alex Fisken were all promoted.
- Hanami launched their Instagram.
- The team have visited Dubai, Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin, Luxembourg, Rotterdam, Mallorca and Zurich in 2018!
- Other team events included go-karting, a trip to Stonehenge, and a bake-off!
Employee of the year: the whole team!
- Stephen McDowell was named Start-Up Director of the Year Northern Ireland 2018!
- The Lost City of Adventure Golf away day!
- Team lunches at House Belfast, Pug Ugly’s, The Merchant Hotel and more…
- Team trip to North coast of Ireland, including whisky tasting at Bushmill’s Distillery
It’s for charity…
- Golf Charity Day raising £5375
- Festival of Tag Rugby Fundraiser for Fintan’s Fund, raising £1724.20
- Operation Christmas Child – Shoe Box Appeal. All of the hawks donated shoeboxes filled with toys and treats which will be given to disadvantaged children in time for Christmas.
- Christmas Jumper Day!
- Due to increasing client demand, Meraki Talent launched their first London office. Based in the RE Sloane Avenue hub, the Meraki team is led by Nathan MacFie.
- Meraki Talent underwent a brand refresh and launched their new website.
- Congratulations to Gordon Willmott on getting married!
- 2019 brings…new offices in both Glasgow and London.
Employees of the year: Nathan MacFie and Sarah Hutchinson
Total Facilities Recruitment
- Congratulations to Nicola Lawrence, Charlie Smith, Khia Bernard and April Pitman on their promotions.
- Khia Bernard completed her NVQ in Recruitment Resourcing and MREC qualifications.
- Lucy Alen, Charlie Smith and Ana Velosa all got engaged this year!
Employee of the year… Nicola Lawrence
“Nicola has consistently hit her target every month, this has resulted in her being promoted in the summer and now is leading a team of three, she has worked very hard this year and always puts in the extra! Congratulations to Nicola she is an asset to TFR.”
- Alex Tindall donned his Venatrix/RE branded shorts not only to smash his 6ft7 opponent, but also to raise £850 for the “School of Hard Knocks” charity.
- Top performers enjoyed cocktails on the beach and a day at the Hilton Hotel Pool Club during their incentive weekend in Barcelona.
Employee of the year: Alex Tindall
“An excellent performance. Has increased his skill set hugely to work with both clients and candidates. A candidate who picks up the phone to Alex in their job search is very lucky indeed as he really does go the extra mile to help them land a job. Pace setter for the team with excellent work ethic and commitment to the company. Great work Alex.”
- Top performers were treated to a long weekend skiing in St Anton.
- The team visited Paris, Milan, Singapore, Madrid, Amsterdam and Berlin over the course of the year.
- Walter James launched their company Instagram page.
- Congratulations to Hayley Manning on her wedding!
It’s for charity…
- Hayley completed the Amsterdam Marathon and Dan Bull did the Royal Parks Half Marathon.
- James Absalom is training for the London Marathon in 2019 – Walter James will match all donations up to £1500.
Employee of the year… Phil Squires
“It’s been a great year with some real highs for the entire WJ business, but the efforts, character and tenacity shown by Phil to display such strong performance in the second half of the year is a fantastic achievement.”